Garage door safety should be part of your daily routine. The Door and Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA) offers helpful garage door safety guidelines to keep yourself, your loved ones, and your home safe.
Garage Door Safety Guidelines From the DASMA
- DO NOT STAND OR WALK UNDER A MOVING GARAGE DOOR
- If a garage door is in motion, wait until it is completely open before walking under it. Do not play “beat the door” games or duck under a moving garage door to get into or out of your garage. Doing so can cause serious injury.
- DO NOT LET CHILDREN PLAY WITH TRANSMITTERS OR REMOTES
- Electronics and pushing buttons may be fun for kids to play with, but a garage door remote is one thing they should never mess around with. They could inadvertently close the door on a car, person, or pet as well as themselves. Be sure to keep remotes in a safe place out of reach of children.
- INSTALL YOUR PUSH BUTTON CONTROLS WHERE CHILDREN CANNOT REACH THEM
- For the same reason a child should not play with a door remote, they should also not have access to the push-button keypad.
- KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR DOOR DURING OPERATION
- Never close your garage door with a remote or keypad and walk away. Always make sure the door closes completely before breaking sight with your door just in case someone or something is in the way.
- TEACH CHILDREN TO KEEP HANDS AND FINGERS AWAY FROM THE GARAGE DOOR
- Whether you open your door manually or with a motor, never let children put their hands or fingers near a moving door. They could get trapped in the hinges, between the sections, in the tracks etc. and become seriously injured. Make sure your children know to stay a safe distance from a moving garage door at all times.
Click here for a print out of the guidelines listed above from DASMA
Are You Looking for More Garage Door Safety Tips or Information on Garage Doors?
If you’re looking for the best Hamptons commercial garage door manufacturer, look into Arm-R-Lite Manufacturing. They have over 50 years of experience in working with high-end customizable garage doors. No matter what your garage door needs, Arm-R-Lite can bring you the best your money can buy. Contact them today!